September 08, 2013

The Singing Hotdog Man and Ernie Harwell

Sometimes it's just time

Some people seem up in arms that the company that employs Charlie the Singing Hot Dog Man let him go. Apparently, he has worked for the company for 15 years and they decided to go in a different direction.


This will not convince me to give up Ballpark Franks to try to prove some point. 

Truth is, I just don't care. At times, Charlie seemed like a cool novelty … but he could also be annoying. I know the Tigers or the company that employs Charlie had to ask him to tone his act down a few years back because of complaints.

It is what it is. 

Back in the early '90s when new Tigers president Bo Schembechler along with WJR fired longtime Tigers announcer Ernie Harwell at the request of owner Tom Monaghan, I didn't eat any of Monaghan's Domino's Pizza for several years. And that was a hard choice to make for a broke college student because we could order two medium pizzas for $4.99 and have them delivered. (This is not the only reason I gained the "freshmen 15" my freshman and sophomore years). This was Central Michigan University in Mt. Pleasant, Mich., in around in December of 1990. The Tigers said they would not continue Harwell's contract after 1991. Paul Carey decided to retire after 1991, as well.

I wasn't even a radical or someone who wanted to make a point. But I didn't order Domino's Pizza for a long, long time. In fact, I don't remember if I've had Domino's since they announced the firing. Clearly, it didn't put the pizza company out of business. I just felt it was the right thing to do to support Mr. Harwell. (I was a huge Harwell & Carey fan ... a Tiger fan to the bone. I even communicated with Mr. Harwell and he signed a photo for my Grandpa Morgan's 90th birthday: READ ABOUT HERE). 

Charlie Marcuse is not Ernie Harwell. His impact on Detroit Tigers fans is minimal. Maybe you've bought a hot dog or five from Charlie. I have. He's entertaining. He's funny. He can also be annoying.


No comments: