August 20, 2016

Still Reading

The Struggle 

This has been a lifelong struggle.

I have four books going right now. Most of the books are non–fiction and one is fiction. I was at Brilliant Books in Traverse City the other day and talking to one of the booksellers. He was recommending a book by Tom Perrotta, Bad Haircut: Stories of the Seventies. I asked if he had read Little Children by the same author. He said it's on his list. I replied, "Yeah, and our lists are only 200 books long, right?" (I also have several books by Elmore Leonard to work on …)

 








Sleep Smarter, by Shawn Stevenson, has 21 considerations for good sleep. The book was a great read for three–quarters of it, but then started to sputter. I have been reading it since May. I will finish it but it's not been easy.

Ted Talks: The Official Ted Guide to Public Speaking, by Chris Anderson, is a good piece by the CEO of Ted. It gives background and ideas. I've been reading it slowly because I'm still in the middle of Sleep Smarter and …

But What If We're Wrong: Thinking About the Past As If It Were the Present, the latest by Chuck Klosterman, is not his most engaging work. Klosterman is on my list of authors whose book I buy as soon as it comes out. This book is a slow read, and deep. While reading four books at once is tough, reading this book, sadly, has been a struggle.

Bad Monkey, by Carl Hiaasen, is an interesting read. I'm listening to it while driving and reading the rest when I'm not in my vehicle. It's been a fun read, as his usually are.

I don't know why I have never been able to read one book at a time, from beginning to end. It's been the way I read since I started reading.

Elmore Leonard's The Hunted has been on my list for months. Sometime soon I will read it.



No comments: