February 23, 2013

Legends

A chance encounter. Because, as Rod Allen would say, "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good." 

 Justin even managed a smile. Lori shook his hand and said, "Nice to meet you Mr. Verlander." 

A great week in Lakeland continued last night when I looked up from our table and saw who I thought was Kenny Rogers, whose best seasons probably happened with the Detroit Tigers.

I said to Lori, "Lori, isn't that Kenny Rogers, former Detroit Tigers pitcher?"

She looked and said, "Yeah, I think it is."

Then I said, "Whoa, he's with Justin … Verlander!"

I knew better than to bother the two Detroit stars, but I also knew better than to let an opportunity like this go by. Heck, I was wearing my 2012 Back to Back Central Division Champions tee–shirt.

I approached them, thanked them for all they've done, and apologized for bothering them. Then, I asked if I could get a quick picture. They were both great about it, Kenny saying, "You better ask him, it's up to him," and pointed at JV.

Justin said it would be no problem.

I told them I'm a huge Tiger fan and said to Kenny, "Look, I'm legit. Check out my shirt!"

It was a great chance encounter. And I'm glad Lori talked me into going out for a little while and relaxing after a great day of baseball. It was worth it.

With Kenny Rogers. 

No comments: