July 02, 2006

Living Life as a Novel

It started at a young age. I wanted to be a writer. I loved to write.

Well, let's back up even further. I loved to read. I remember going to the big mall in Flint, Mich., with my mom and grandma. I would stare at the books in bookstores, wishing I could read them all. I especially thought the Hardy Boys series looked good. It would be a few years later, but I eventually read most of the hard cover series. Another bonus of going to the mall in Flint was that we could occassionally eat here -- there weren't many in the state in the '70s.

But back to writing. I don't know what made me interested in writing, but I enjoyed it. I liked specific writers, too, as I got older because they wrote like me -- or I wrote like they did. Hemingway is a favorite because he was trained as a journalist and wrote in a very journalistic style, i.e. very few wasted words. I like to be concise, as you can probably tell.

So, anyway, I've started probably four or five "novels" over time and always got bored with them. I don't know why ... Anyone who read them said they had potential, but I just walked away from them. Then, I look at different books at Barnes & Nobel, and think to myself, "I really need to get writing again!"

Please keep reading the blog. I'm having a great time writing it -- and I'm hoping everyone is having at least a good time reading it. I really like to read your comments, so keep commenting! Until my next post, thanks for tuning in!

; )

No comments: