July 01, 2006

Grand Traverse Resort Village Memories

Today, I was mowing the yard, listening to my iPod Shuffle, and a song came on that made me think of my days working as a clean-up crew person in the banquet department at the Grand Traverse Resort.

The song, "I Love You," is a cool tune, but the first time I heard it was when I was helping clean-up a banquet room following an event. The song was piped through the sound system. This being 1988, I couldn't just run home and check out the song on the Internet, so it took me some effort to find out the song. It was a hit for the Climax Blues Band in the '70s.

Anyway, this post is not about the song, it's about great memories. I started working at "the Resort" in 1988 in the banquet department. After a year as a clean-up crew member, I became a banquet houseman, which means I set-up the events. It was a fun job, but after two years, I moved on. I became a banquet bar runner, which meant I would set up portable bars for the banquet bartenders and keep them stocked throughout the night's parties. We usually had anywhere from 10-15 banquet bars open, so it was a fun job. Eventually, that led to work as a bartender in both the banquet department and at the outdoor Pool Bar, which I actually managed for a couple of summers.

I really enjoyed my experiences there at the Resort -- as an employee.

As a professional, I've been to a few conferences at the Resort, as well. It's always really cool because I can "guide" people around the Resort pretty well and give them directions and all that kind of stuff. If they want a good meal, I can point them in the right direction.

More than just the Resort, I like the Traverse City area. It's a great place!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was delighted to see that hard working at 16 didn't and through college didn't leave a bad impression on you Rick. As your beloved Grandpa would say, "Hard work never killed anyone!" How true Grandpa lived to be 90!

Look at all the good experience you got at the Resort, and living in the Traverse City area.

We love the Traverse City area, I think it was a good move in 1979!

Great place to bring up your children and live.

Anonymous said...

I have seen you in action at conferences. It is obvious that you know the lay of the land!