May 12, 2006

CMU's Jay Smith Resigns

"We had a conversation late Monday and he officially resigned Tuesday. We were committed to Jay and the program so it came as a total surprise. Sure, this comes at a unique time, but I have no problem with it. I fully respect Jay coming to his decision at this time. He has two young kids and he just wants to focus on them."

- Dave Heeke, CMU Athletics Director -

Why do I bet there is more to the story?

Hey, Vestaburg has a varsity basketball opening. Maybe he'll take a year or two and do the high school thing? I wish I would have bought a bobblehead now! I invited Jay to speak to our students when I was athletic director at Vestaburg. He's very personable and likable. Good luck, Jay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm surprised--he is kind of, well he IS a CMU icon of some sort. Wonder what they'll do with all the CMU Jay Smith B-ball camp brochures?