October 20, 2022

When Changing the Attitude Does Not CHANGE the Culture

FIRE MILLEN REDUX 

I rediscovered this today. Current Lions Head Coach Dan Campbell has allegedly changed the culture and moved forward after the few years under former Head Coach Matt Patricia. 


"*To me, the biggest reason is Rod (Marinelli)," Millen said. "I think he did a great job this year on a lot of fronts. If you remember back when I first got here, the very first thing I talked about -- the very first thing -- was the attitude. We had to change the attitude. Remember that? And I still believe that. I think that Rod has addressed that and has continued to pound it every single day. This is the first time I can see things are changing."

- Mr. Matt Millen, Former Boss of the Lions (2001 through 2008) 

He led the team that drafted Charles Rogers, Joey Harrington, and Mike Williams et al. 

He fired Gary Moeller and hired Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron,  and Rod Marinelli. Most of those head coaches lasted a season or two. So, Millen changed cultures several times. Marinelli lasted from 2006 through the 2008 season. 

So, what we are enjoying these days is nothing new …


[*Taken from The Detroit Free-Press, January 3, 2007]

No comments: