February 23, 2018

The Three C's of Education

CONNECTIONS, CURRICULUM, AND COSTS. 

Sometimes you have the opportunity to "think" about things. Then I get to write about them. And sometimes, you read about them on my blog. So, today, I have some thoughts to share about education.


Sometimes it's hard to believe that I've been in the educational field for 20–some years. I've learned a lot in the 23 years I've been a teacher, coach, AD, principal, and superintendent. I still learn every day. I learn from my teachers and my students, not to mention the books, webinars, and seminars I'm lucky enough to encounter. I'm so fortunate to get to go to school on a daily basis and watch people work with kids.

I've learned over the years how important the Three C's are. Connections, curriculum, and costs are the "main things" in a school district. Some of you are saying I left out the most important factor, but don't quit reading yet.

The connections that we make are paramount to student achievement success. It begins at the top with a highly functioning relationship between the Board and Superintendent. That is the key relationship in any school district because if things are not healthy at the proverbial "top," they will be disjointed throughout the system. The relationship between the superintendent and leadership team is also important, as is the relationship between the building administrator and the staff members. Most important, though, is the relationship between the teachers and the students.

That key connection is the single most important factor in student success. If the students believe they have a connection with the teacher — if they believe the teachers love and care for them — they will work hard. I have seen it time and time again in my career. Students, doesn't even matter the grade level, will work hard for someone they believe truly cares for them. The connections the adults make with the students create the culture in the school. When the kids feel the adults "give a care," they are more motivated.

Culture is a word that might be overused. When I see culture improve in a school or district, I know that academic achievement is not far behind. Culture is not even necessarily one of the Three C's. Culture leads to success in the second C. Curriculum is sometimes referred to as the backbone of education. A solid curriculum makes a huge difference in the performance of a school and district. The more teachers are on the same page as far as instruction and assessment, the better the students will learn and perform. In Michigan, we have seen three major changes in curriculum in the last 25 years, from the Michigan Curriculum Framework to the Grade Level Expectations to the State Standards. The State was once a leader in educational curriculum. I believe that consistency in curriculum is important.

Finally, costs matter. It's the area that we always try to avoid, but often, the financial standing of a district greatly influences the education that kids are able to receive. A leader has to carefully construct a budget to ensure the right components are in place ...

No comments: