August 04, 2012

Overnight Success

Rock 'n' roll ain't noise pollution …


I don't know how other people feel about it, but for some reason I have many artists in my Ipod (or CD collection, cassette collection, vinyl collections) who struggled mightily for several years before breaking through. These artists include Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, John Cougar (Cougar–Mellencamp, Mellencamp, etc.), Kid Rock, and Bob Seger. Now, most of those artists music can sound similar at times and many of them have worked together, but do you feel that your favorite artists struggled or were they the proverbial overnight sensation? 

I've seen many concerts in my time, but I've seen the aforementioned artists more than others. First concert was Billy Joel in February of 1990 and most recent was Jimmy Buffett at Comerica Park a week ago. There's nothing quite like "being there." 

John Mellencamp in Daytona the day he received a bike. He also did an impromptu concert. 

David Allen Coe at the Iron Horse Saloon in Ormand Beach, Florida. A must see experience. 

I finally was able to find an original copy of this Lynyrd Skynyrd album, Street Survivors, in February. I think we're getting on a trend here: in Daytona, Florida. 

A little Spanish–flavored music by Kid Rock (just kidding!) 

No comments: