December 26, 2009

Hard Work, Determination, and Focus

Time goes fast.


Uncle John and Grandpa Morgan. Morgan's Service. (Note: I did not take this picture; a customer did.)

It's almost 2010. In the early 1930s, Grandpa Richard Morgan opened Morgan's Service with a small loan from his dad. Morgan's opened in January 1932. Grandpa was 16 years old.

Grandpa worked there every day until he was 90 years old. He went to work early and stayed late. In September 2005, we walked out together and went to a Tigers game. They lost to the Mariners that night, but Grandpa and I had a great talk that night.

We also had great talks several years before when we went to Bar Harbor, ME, two years in a row. After my first and second years of teaching. We talked a lot. I learned a lot from Grandpa. Our time spent on those trips was priceless. We ate a lot of lobster.

One thing he talked about more than once was that the early days were not easy. He explained that there were struggles in the early years, but he kept Morgan's Service moving forward. He once told me that with hard work, determination, and focus anything is possible. That's something I'll always remember.

Hard work, determination, and focus ... the philosophy of Grandpa Richard Morgan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must have been thinking alot about Grandpa,I sure was on Christmas Eve. I really miss him! Does it ever get easier?