September 24, 2009

"The cover of the Sports Illustrated" features Harwell Park

My dad used to love a song called, "The Cover of Rolling Stone" by Dr. Hook. It was an old '70s hit that actually turned out to be pretty cool and caused the band to end up "on the cover of the Rolling Stone."

You've read here that I'm a fan of the City of Detroit. I like going to the city and checking things out. I can imagine what a great place it was during "its day." Today is no longer Detroit's day. You can buy a house for $1.00. You don't want to walk into local convenience stores (the bullet proof glass that separates the customer from the clerk is intimidating...) and you have to make sure you stay on the "beaten path" or you find weird people shadowing you ...

Layfayette Coney Island is one of the coolest stops in the city. The People Mover is actually a cool ride around the city. Joe Louis Arena has a luster and appeal all its own. The history of Detroit is rich.

KISS sung "Detroit Rock City" back in the '70s — well before I had any idea that Detroit was Michigan's biggest city. My family lost its car at Cobo Hall back in '76 or '77. I guess now I understand why my parents were a little freaked out. Come on, I just wanted to see Spider–man!

I've made many trips into the "D" since the early '90s. I can get around town without a lot of trouble. My Grandpa told my dad, "You know, Rick knows his way around Detroit pretty well." You only have to get lost once and you don't let it happen again, right?

It's cool to see "the D" on the cover of next week's Sports Illustrated. When it was announced, a couple people emailed me concerned about "the SI Jinx." Well, that city can't get any more jinxed ...

So many people think of Detroit negatively: the '67 riots, Bubba the Tiger fan holding a pennant in front of the burning car, the city's school's misusing millions of dollars and throwing out brand new cappuccino machines ... et cetera (insert your own Lions joke here).

Detroit is on the cover. The CoPa, a place that was nothing, with no tradition, until 2006. Magglio Ordonez's swing of the bat against Huston Street changed Comerica Park from the Tiger's home to THE TIGER'S HOME. Folks, their old home has been razed and a place that's 10 years old (really?!?) is getting some respect. Harwell Park is on the cover .... of Sports Illustrated.

It's been a fun run this season. Enough crazy stuff has happened and the stars are lining up ... So, get yourself out to Detroit Rock City, the D, and enjoy some baseball this fall ...

1 comment:

brad said...

where is the rickie heitmeyer picture in the article...no love for the tigers biggest supporter...whats up with that...good article..not a great one...not very long either..not an in depth study for certain...SI jinxs rickie...tigers could fall apart down the stretch and not make the playoffs...