February 24, 2007

The Writing Process


As an English Language Arts teacher, I used to teach students the writing process. The writing process includes free- or pre-writing, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing. Each step includes mini-lessons and hard work -- mostly on the students' parts. When I look back at sample papers I used to have students write, I find that I had incredibly high expectations.

Today, I have spent several hours researching, writing, and revising the paper I have been working on for several years. The topic, as stated earlier, is New Teacher Induction. Originally, the program developed and grew at Vestaburg Community School. It was replicated in 2005 at Central Montcalm Public School. The topic is picking up steam, and Michigan actually has expectations, The Michigan Teacher Induction and Mentoring Standards. The topic has grown nationwide, and originally started in 1991, when Harry K. Wong wrote The First Days of School.

I consider the book the Bible of induction. His video series, based on the book, is also top-notch.

No comments: