February 26, 2007

Topps Baseball Cards


I have been collecting baseball cards since about 1978. Usually, I purchase Topps Baseball Cards because they are the industry leader and have been around forever. In addition, when I first began collecting, Topps was the only company making cards. In 1981, Fleer and Donruss arrived on the scene and a few years later UpperDeck and Score. Score didn't last long. At first, the additional card choices were cool, but then, everyone started to produce several sets in addition to the main card set, so it became overwhelming.

1987 was my biggest year in collecting. It also, it turns out later, was the biggest year in card collecting ever. The cards I bought -- rookie cards of Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, etc -- were supposed to increase in value. I thought I could pay for my college with all of the cards I had collected up to that point. The glut arrived in 1987. So many sets, so many cards, and we would find out later ... so over produced. So, I have thousands of 1987 Topps Baseball Cards that are probably worth less now than when they were new!

Anyway, the 2007 cards have arrived. And they remind me of why I backed off greatly when the 1988 Topps set arrived. These cards are UGLY. There has not been a set this cheap looking since the 1988 cards. The only thing these cards have over the '88s is that the cardboard is better, stronger. These are so goofy looking ... a black border. BLACK! I bought three packs, plus two collectors boxes on Saturday and I might be done for the year. Why would anyone want to add these to any collection?

Coincidently, those 1987 Topps are a nice looking set.

1 comment:

Lakeland Local said...

I don't know. My last year collecting was 1971 and those black borders looked good. Here are three:

McMahon, Concepcion, Hahn