November 27, 2006

Thirty-three for thirty-four

It was Nov. 27, 1981. We were at my grandparents in Clarkston for Thanksgiving week-end. I was watching television (this is really before cable, way before the Internet, etc.) and across the bottom flashed the blurb that the Detroit Tigers had traded Steve Kemp to the Chicago White Sox. I was shocked, stunned, flabbergasted. I was only 10 at the time, but this was a surprising move. Why trade for Lemon when we already had the awesome Steve Kemp?

It turned out to be a great move!

I could get into the second-guessing of moves made in the mid- to late-90s by Randy Smith, but I think I'll spare everyone the agony!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Rick said...

In case you weren't sure what I mean by "thirty-three" for "thirty-four," Kemp wore 33 as a Tiger and Lemon wore 34.