August 30, 2006

"Craig Did It Again!!!"

Okay ... okay ... okay ... my heart is finally slowing down. I think.

Wow!

Craig Monroe, affectionately known as C-Mo, hit a three-run homer in the top of the ninth inning to beat the New York Yankees tonight in the second game of a day/night doubleheader.

Wow!

C-Mo has come up huge in the clutch so many times this season. One time, against the ChiSox, he hit a late inning grand slam to put the Tigers up. I missed Rod Allen's call of the shot, though, because I was at the game. That was July 19. What a rush that was.

Wow!

Baby, this team is for real. The magic is still there. You all had been wondering. So many writers and fair-weathered fans have been crying out like Chicken Little -- they sky is falling. And everytime someone says that to me, or I hear someone on talk radio suggesting the magic is gone ... I quickly say the following:

* How many games back are the Tigers this season?
* Who has the best record in the major leagues this season?
*Did you know that mathematically the Tigers have a 97.8% chance of making the playoffs?

Fellow Tigers fans, I make this announcement right now ...

I will never shout out, "Belt one, Craig!" when he bats. He's clearly grown up and deserves the respect from all of us that he made that mistake when he was younger. He's earned the right to simply be cheered! No more. I will never encourage anyone to take off his/her belt at a game and swing it around in the air when C-Mo homers.

By the way, nice ninth inning for Mr. Jones tonight!

Who's Your Tiger?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Robinson Cano made the play in the top of the eighth I didn't think the Tigers had a chance. The key to the ninth inning in my opinion is that the two Tigers most prone to striking out (Inge and Granderson) both fought off some pitches, took some close ones, and eventually they both earned walks to get the most clutch Tiger batter of the year up. Craig Monroe did do it again. I scared my dog, upset the wife, and probably confused my neighbors all in the three seconds that ball was in the air. Sometimes a ball is hit and you just yell "GO BALL!" as it travels to its final destination in the seats. What a win. Do it tomorrow Detroit.

Rick said...

Update: the Tigers are 4.5 in front of the Sox and 6 in front of the Twins. Both Chicago and Minneota lost tonight. I really think that tonight's win is going to change the tide for the Tigers! They're going to be back to their winning ways ...

Tuna Can said...

What do you mean when you brought up that you will never say "belt one, Craig." I don't get it.

Rick said...

Well, Tuna, for someone who helped me encourage the LorenzMachine to take his belt off on Opening Day in downtown Detroit, I think you can explain the "belt" comment to me. Eh?

Anonymous said...

SKipper Tore here again..not sure if the tigers won or not today....i am pretty sure that my bronx bombers were ready to play and even though we are paying A-Rod alot of money and he is 2 for 28 right now, he did come up big with a few rbi's today...hats off to my good friend jimmy leyland he does have the tigers playing well....but i'll take two out of three any day.....hope you guys can hang in their the rest of the way, i sure would like to get back to michigan and see some old friends of mine.....hopefully you guys can put together a few more wins and maybe we can meet in the playoffs......