June 10, 2006

Reason to Roar

As Ken drove down I-69 yesterday, John, Steve, and I rode along, talking about the upcoming week-end and the prospect of seeing future Tiger Cameron Maybin in action.

Okay, okay, let me back up just a little bit. Friday morning, The Sporting News arrived in the mailbox. It usually arrives on Wednesday, Thursday at the latest. Since it arrived Friday, I decided I would bring it along and read it on the road.

One article, A Reason to Roar, by Steven Douglas Losey, caught my eye. It was all about the Detroit Tigers and their return to relevance during the 2006 season.

One line, really caught my attention because I have been thinking it's about time to do something like this: "But the pitching, the best in the majors, that's the biggest. Humor me for a minute: I bought a '79 Vette on Ebay three months ago (my dream car), and I just had to put a Tigers plate on it. I picked DETTGRS. Maybe I should have gone with GRR8STAFF." A personalized license plate, not buying a Vette off of Ebay, sounds pretty cool. Anyway, we were cruising along I-69, when John said, "Hey, check out that license plate on that Vette, it said something like Detroit Tigers."

Quickly, and without drawing any attention, I grabbed the TSN and read the article to see if my memory served correct: yep, that car was the writer's car.

"Kenny, you have to slow back down. That guy wrote this article about the Tigers. We have to get him to stop."

"Yeah, right, Rick. Like he's going to stop."

"No, Ken, really, it says he bought the car on Ebay, a '79 Vette," John was helping the cause.

Ken didn't really want to stop, but I kept pushing ...

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: