June 10, 2006

Reason to Roar, Part II

We finally convinced Ken that it might be cool to slow down and get the writer to stop. Slowing down and making sure he didn't get off on an exit was another thing entirely. But, after several minutes of manuevering, and driving unsafely slow (come on, this was a Vette were were waiting for) his car cruised up next to us.

I rolled the window down and showed him the magazine and shouted, "Pull over, we want to talk to you. Pull over!!!"

Steven, the writer, pulled over and was beaming. He was on a cell phone. He looked at us in disbelief.

"Hey, great article. Can you get out of the car and pose with us?"

"Sure guys. You guys are crazy. Really crazy," he replied.

He told us he was a rock writer normally, but had written the Tigers piece and hadn't seen it yet. I told him he couldn't have my copy, but I would appreciate it if he would sign it. He personalized it: "To Rick, Thanks for stopping the Vette ..."

Pretty cool. We talked for a few minutes, took pictures with him and the plate, and promised to send him copies of the pictures.

Really, I don't know who thought it was a pretty cool deal, him or us.

What are the odds, though, of driving down the road and seeing the car you had just read about about two hours earlier? What are the odds that the magazine would be a day or two late? I mean, I could have read the article Wednesday, watching the Tigers game and just told the guys when we saw the cool plate, "Hey, I'm not kidding, I read about that car the other day." It would have been another "Yeah, right, Rick moment."

You see, I'm a "be there" kind of person. I like to be in the moment, whether it's at a ballgame, at a concert, or just where it matters. A lot of people don't understand my penchant for "being there" but it sure does lead to some great stories and fodder for blogging.

I have several pictures from yesterday, both of the writer, the guys on the trip, and the White Caps and Wizards. I'll be posting them to Flickr, then onto the blog and sharing more. It's been fun so far, and it's raining, so golfing might be out of the equation.

Have a great day. [I'm just wondering, should I mention the firm of Rodney & Jones really blew it in Canada last night?]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way cool Rick Rock!! Keep writing. Darn good thing you're "writing again"!