April 13, 2006

Tiger Stadium

I remember the first time I went to Tiger Stadium. It was 1976 -- the year of Mark "the Bird" Fidrych. At the time, all of five years old, I wasn't too interested in baseball, the Tigers, or the fact that they were in the middle of a "down" period. I did think Mark "the Bird" was pretty cool, though.

What a grand place Tiger Stadium used to be. How many of you were there? You know what I mean when I tell you how awesome it was to smell the freshly mowed green, green grass as you walked down the long corridors to the upper deck area. How about the smell of the fresh Ball Park Franks (and the time when they replaced those with Thorn Apple Valley ... those dogs did no justice!). Hey, the free prize inside was when the dog vendor would drip sweat onto your freshly plumped dog. Nobody cared!

A great place. Hey, I'd buy a urinal from the place if they would just auction some things off and get on with it. Obviously they are not going to fix it up. It's time to let the past go, tear it down, auction off some stuff and build something new.

Comerica Park is a neat ballpark, kind of like a major league minor league park, but it's no Tiger Stadium! Go Tigers!


No comments: