March 21, 2021

Pens. Pencils. Notebooks. & Books.

 Pens. Pencils. Notebooks. Books. 

Grisham, Cunningham releasing new adventures in April

You see, I have a problem. I like to write and I like to read. Reading and writing have always been essential for my well being. I love to read. Sometimes I feel guilty reading because when I read I don’t really do anything — well, except maybe eat and snack. Maybe drink some tea or coffee. I suppose in reality, I’m usually learning when I read, but it seems like something that might be called a passive activity. Somebody says, “Hey, what ‘cha doin’ today,” and you say, “I’m going to read,” there’s like a stigma attached to it. But, the problem is, I have a lot of books and that is cause for a lot of reading. 


Truth is, I have a library in my house. And it’s a well–stocked library, at that. I get into these cycles where I read all of the work by certain authors. Well, except if a book comes out by any of the following: Tom Perrotta, Carl Hiaasen, John Grisham, or Lee Child. I stop whatever I’m in the middle of and interrupt the current book with one by these guys. Another couple of writers who I dig are John H. Cunningham (the Buck Reilly series is so fun!) and Steve Hamilton. 


Indigo Abyss Arrives in April, another Buck Reilly adventure ... 


John Grisham gets into basketball in Sooley


Meanwhile, I cannot believe I have missed out on Steve Hamilton for 20 years. In fact, I picked up one of his books at Horizon Books in Traverse City just after he spoke in TC, and never read the book. But for some reason, it led me to start at the beginning with the original Hamilton novel, the award–winning A Cold Day in Paradise.  For the past few months, I’ve been getting to know Alex McNight and his cronies really well. The series kind of reminds me of an adult version of the Hardy Boys, but that’s awesome — you all know that I love anything Hardy Boys related. 


It appears that I may have a type. I would add Brad Meltzer to the mix, but I prefer his fiction rather than his non–fiction. That doesn’t mean that I don’t own most of his books; it means that I don’t necessarily read all of his books. As far as Grisham goes, he’s one of my favorites, and I can read his books pretty quickly when they come out. I actually like the work he’s doing with the Camino Island series; it’s a bit of a break from the norm. 


Books are great, which leads to notebooks. I started with a Moleskine about 15 years ago. I thought they were so cool. I tried the blank pages, the lined pages, the gridded pages. Then I tried other notebooks, Field Notes, Leuchtturm 1918 (can’t even pronounce that one), and others. Then, somewhere in a blog, I discovered Baron Fig. I have bought and used and gifted so many Baron Fig items. The notebooks are incredible and the pens and other items are top notch as well.


I have started so many people on their notebook journey with the Baron Fig Confidant or Vanguard. I use them all the time, and love them. So, I think everyone should. But with notebooks come pens and pencils and blogs about keeping a notebook. Everytime someone writes about why this pen or pencil is the best, I feel like I have to order it and try it out.


Yes, of course … There are some I really like, but more or less, I have to stick with certain ones. I am a Ticonderoga #2 guy, but I also have a fondness for the Blackwing pencils out of California. They’re pretty solid with good lead — and they look pretty cool. I have been using the Precise V7 Rolling Ball pens in numerous colors.  


Ah, pens, pencils, notebooks, and books. Can anyone say "spending freeze."


No comments: