May 30, 2018

Graduation Season

I've Been Lucky to Attend Many Graduations

I am about to lead my ninth graduation as a Superintendent. NINTH! I can't believe that I've been doing this that long. It seems like just yesterday I was given a key by my first principal and told, "Good luck." I started my English and journalism teaching career in 1995! If I could, I would give that year back to those students … That means that my first year of teaching seniors (The Vestaburg Class of 1996) would be turning … this can't be right … 40! I guess I've been doing this a long time.


Each year we have to build on the previous year. I think I'm going to write things down in a manual format now, so it's easier for everyone next year. There are many idiosyncrasies to each graduation, so one must carefully plan. Each class is unique and might want to do certain things a different way. Yet, I think I basic guideline would help future sponsors know exactly what to do, and when.

I still can't believe this will be the ninth time I've said those magic words, "By the power vested in me  …"

Cheers!


No comments: