August 16, 2015

Rikki Don't Lose That Number

"Rikki Don't Lose That Number"

Certain songs resonate with me. I remember being about five years old and calling a radio station in Traverse City to find out who sings the song "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" ; not really knowing that the song was about a woman but thinking it was cool that the name was mentioned in a hit song. Young Ricky back then loved music, and had an early interest in Jimmy Buffett, Billy Joel, and John Cougar. Suddenly, I had an interest in Steely Dan and found out that I knew some of the duo's other songs, too, like "Peg."


I like the way some lyrics sound. And the way the music flows. As they say, "It's only rock 'n' roll but I like it." I always enjoyed songs like "Margaritaville" and "Miss You So Badly" by Buffett, "Jack & Diane" and "Hurts So Good" by Cougar, and "My Life" and "Big Shot" by Joel. Amazingly, all of these artists are still making music today, though Joel hasn't released a new album of pop material since 1993. Many of my favorite songs still today are from 1975-1985. It's totally nostalgic because they're all songs from years gone by but songs that I refuse to change the radio station when they come on.

Rikki Don't Lose That Number

Rikki don't lose that number
You don't wanna call nobody else
Send it off in a letter to yourself
Rikki don't lost that number
It's the only one you own
You might use it if you feel better
When you get home 





No comments: