April 28, 2014

Why? WHAT DO YOU MEAN … WHY?!?

"WE WANT TO DO THIS. IF YOU'LL JUST TELL US WHY WE ARE DOING IT, WE WILL DO IT BETTER AND ACTUALLY GET IT DONE."

When Courtney understood the "why" behind the correct batting stance, it was easier for her to change. Student–athletes need to get the reason behind something before they're able to execute.  

I have experienced this on a number of occasions. Examples that come to mind right away are different professional development sessions I have coordinated and also athletic coaching experiences. I've both observed myself doing this, and others.

We are great at telling people what we do and, often, how we do it.

Those are two great things for people to know.

But they really want to know WHY we are doing WHAT we're doing.

As a young coach, I would get frustrated by athletes asking, "Why are we doing it this way?" I always thought, "Well because it works this way and since I'm the coach …" but I have found over the years that the more I explain they "why," the more the student-athletes understand the "what" and even the "how."

As a professional development presenter, I thought the key to any process was the "what" we're doing and "how" we're going to get there. When a teacher it would be helpful for ME to write out the professional development in an outcome form it made a bit of sense, but not until later did I fully realize what the teacher was really saying:

"WE WANT TO DO THIS. IF YOU'LL JUST TELL US WHY WE ARE DOING IT, WE WILL DO IT BETTER AND ACTUALLY GET IT DONE." 

Sure, it took some follow up conversation with the individual, but it finally became clear.


Right now, I'm taking part in professional development of my own. It's developed and facilitated by the Michigan Association of School Administrators and called Courageous Journey. It's a program designed to help superintendents grow and develop — as well as network with one another. In the course, we are studying the book Start With Why by Simon Sinek.

Sinek's Ted Talk made a difference. 





No comments: