January 06, 2014

Writing ...

Really Writing Now

I can still write. I sure can't get up and down like a catcher anymore! 


Originally it was a Ticonderoga No. 2 pencil.

Then it was a ballpoint pen.

A few years later it was a typewriter. Non-electric.

Then a computer.

I’m working on writing more. I am doing a project through Art of Manliness regarding how to jumpstart my journaling. I used to write all the time. Maybe it’s because I had more time on my hands.

I want to write more in 2014. I started my blog, Rick’s Writing Again, in 2006. I had thought about starting the blog for about two years before finally deciding to go ahead and just … write. And I wrote all the time.

My goal in 2014 is to write more. To write on the blog and to write on my school blog. I also think I’d like to write for local newspapers again. I love to write and think I am able to express things pretty well. I’m better at writing directions than I am at giving them sometimes!

I originally started my blog to write about three things:

  1. Education and my spot in the field
  2. Baseball, or especially the Detroit Baseball Club
  3. Entertainment like concerts, movies, etc.

Wait! Is That All!

I kept my end of the bargain for quite a while. I read blogs about how to blog better. I included more pictures. I included more bold words. I included this and I included that. I sometimes edited before publishing but sometimes I just “shipped.”

I recently read this post about 11 Essential Ingredients Every Blog Post Needs. I’ve been trying this formula lately and I just haven’t found a way to create exquisite subheads. That just doesn’t seem to work for me. I also am struggling with internal cliffhangers. I’m going to keep moving forward and incorporating these ideas.

I always have considered myself a writer. I started writing all the time when I was about nine or 10. During my teenage years I journaled all the time. I haven’t read any of those in years — maybe I should. Recently, I looked back to the beginning of my blog. I have written different takes on some things. I found it surprising that I have highlighted Tim Hortons on more than one occasion. Interestingly, I wrote the same types of things six and seven years a part.

No comments: