January 14, 2013

The Right Way to Learn


The right way to learn.


Field trips were the best. 

I always liked school. I don’t really know why. I was a good student. I learned. I read a lot. I did my work. I found my niche. I liked baseball and I liked to write. I played varsity baseball for four years and wrote for the school newspaper, the yearbook, local paper, and anyplace that would let me.

My favorite subject was baseball. I started studying baseball in 1976. It wasn’t a favorite subject for a five–year–old. I even had the chance to attend double header field trips in Detroit. In 1979, I started to get more engaged with baseball and the chance to study it.

For some reason, this coincided with the arrival of Pat Underwood, Kirk Gibson, and Sparky Anderson in Detroit. The Tigers, by default, were my favorite team.

I read everything I could about baseball. Everything. I read the back of baseball cards, the Red and Green books, the Sporting News, Joe Falls’ columns in the Detroit News.

I watched as much baseball as I could. And back in ‘79, baseball was not often on TV.

I talked to people when I had questions about why something happened the way that it did. 




Assessment. The way it should be!

(I’m going to continue to develop these thoughts this week.)

No comments: