September 08, 2012

Wizardly Week-end

Rock 'n' roll journalist highlights the Tigers' new reason to roar (back in '06)

I've written about this before, but I told the story again last night, so I thought I would write about it. In June of 2006, the Tigers were winning again. As a lifelong, die–hard Tiger fan, this was great news. We had struggled with the Tigers for so long …

Anyway, Ken Kreiner, John Huckins, Steve Lott, and I were cruising down I–69 near Coldwater, Mich., when we spotted a 'Vette with a really cool license plate: 

and we told Ken, who was driving, that we had to get the 'Vette to stop because the driver wrote the article in The Sporting News called "A Reason to Roar …" He didn't believe it, but finally he relented. 

It's a crazy story. I sent pictures and a letter to TSN, who ended up printing a letter to the editor from me. Losey called and said I was "a crazy cat" to get ahold of the magazine, but they were indeed running the information because they confirmed with him that it was all true. 

It's seven seasons later, the Tigers are (sorta) still winning, and Losey and I talk regularly. He's a rock 'n' roll writer who happens to dabble in sports writing and reporting as well. 



No comments: