August 06, 2012

Monday Moanin'

They've been called the Comeback Cats before, but that was unreal. 

The photo above refers to In N Out, but the article refers to the Tigers. 

I told Ken and Steve on the way down that I hadn't left a Tigers game early since 1984, when it wasn't even my choice. I don't even know why we were talking about it. In fact, I think in 1984, the Tigers played a double header on August 5 against the Kansas City Royals (they were a good team then) and we arrived late to the first game. Anyway, I was never a fan of leaving early, but why pay an extra $5 for easy out if you weren't going to take advantage of it … right? 

Anyway, the game yesterday was a good one, back and forth, up and down — kind of like the Tigers whole season. The hitting was great. AJ and Omar did their best Whitaker and Trammell impersonation, both going 4–6. Of course, the best player in the game did what he does to close it out in the bottom of the 10th. 

We were driving down the parking garage when the Tigers were down to their last strike. We were a few miles out of Detroit, heading west on I–96 when the Tigers won the game. As Dan Dickerson shouted, "A once in a generation game!" I was there. But I wasn't. 

And tonight, I will be at In N Out in Las Vegas. 

*"Monday Moanin'" is a reference to Bob Talbert, late columnist for the Detroit Free Press

No comments: