June 09, 2009

"New York sent a posse down like I ain't never seen"

In 1990, I attended a Billy Joel concert at the Palace of Auburn Hills. It was the first concert I ever went to, but not the last. I have seen many bands more than once, including Joel, John Mellencamp (even Cougar–Mellencamp), Kid Rock, David Allen Coe, among others. I even saw Mellencamp in a small venue as Pearl Doggy in January 1995. Then, I saw him at Bike Week in Daytona just a couple of years ago. Concerts are great experiences.

I've been lucky enough to hang out back stage and on tour buses. One great experience was meeting the Shooter Jennings band last year. I've seen Shooter and the .357s a few times. They're a solid band and about ready to release a harder–edged album and move over from "the country." They'll be playing at the Machine Shop in Flint, Mich., on Friday night.

The opening act on the tour, the Deadstring Brothers from Detroit, Mich. The band's drummer, E. Travis Harret, performed a drum solo at his graduation from Elk Rapids High School in June 1990. The first time I saw Shooter and the .357s, the Deadstring Brothers had finished up their opening act role the night before in Detroit, so I didn't get a chance to talk to my old locker neighbor. Maybe this time ...

Rock 'n' roll!!!


Shooter and the .357's new album, BLACK RIBBON, will drop soon.

No comments: