June 10, 2007

Lance Parrish, Manager


Lance
Originally uploaded by Rick Rock Radio
My best interaction with Lance Parrish happened during the Spring Training trip Lori and I took in 2004.

Lance was arriving at an early morning work–out and I asked him, "Lance, would you like to sign this ball?"

His response was, "Would I like to? No. Will I, yes."

After watching him moving around last night and looking so disinterested in managing the Loons, I can only imagine the discussion when he was hired by the Dodgers.

"Lance, would you like to manage a low–A baseball team in the middle of nowhere in mid–MIchigan? I know you really want to coach in the big leagues, but all of your '84 friends are coaching elsewhere now."

"Do I want to manage in singe–A? No. Will I? I guess if you really twist my arm hard."

Seriously, I have only been to one game, but he does not seem to be enjoying the experience.

(By the way, the ball was a real game ball and it was autographed by several of the Tigers coaches from the 2004 team.)

No comments: