October 23, 2006

On a cold, damp beautiful day in October

It had been 22 years since I attended a World Series game. Back in '84, I think I was there on October 12. The Tigers clinched it all on Oct. 14. Game time temperature was 44 degrees; however, it felt more like 25 degrees. But, I was there and it was great.

Friday night I was able to purchase one ticket. I tried for the rest of the week-end to get one more, to no avail. So, I set out for Detroit yesterday afternoon at about 2 o'clock. I grabbed a quick lunch at Wendy's and journeyed down to The Detroit Cab Company and parked. I arrived about 4:45 and found out that the gates had opened at 4:30. I'm usually the first person to the game. Yesterday, I was probably the 1,000th!

It was raining and cold. The players did not take batting practice. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday game or because of the weather. I talked to Bill the Usher for a few minutes then set out to my standing room only spot. I stood for six-and-a-half hours.

In the end, the Tigers won and all of us in Section 140 were quite satisfied. Even though Todd Jones scared us with a Cedar Pointesque ninth inning ...

Eat the Cardinals, Tigers. Eat 'em up!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The game was great!

Nice Pic.

Anonymous said...

I love it that the Tigers' Kenny Rogers has a brilliant game 2, and the only thing the F'in, so called sports journalists can come up with to write about, is whether or not he cheated. What was on his hand? Blah Blah. It is so obvious, the slant, that the mainstream journalists have against all Detroit teams. When the Tigers end this fantastic season as World champions, all of us Detroit sports fans can turn off ESPN to avoid listening to the bullshit as to how poorly their opponent played. Humm, maybe ESPN should just cover the Yankees, and the "journalists" can masturbate over the photo of Derek Jeter they have on their desk, and pray for next year.